Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Web2.0 - Web3.0 - Web3.doh!

Well in case you've been living in a cave, Web2.0 (at least the version numbering of the Internet) began about 2 years ago. I'm not too sure about the person taking the fame of numbering the Internet, but it has obviously caught on - and is advancing.

While we've seen one of my favorite-to-read guys Seth Godin announce that he has already envisioned Web4.x where we sacrifice 90% of our privacy for a completely plugged-in, interactive and networked existance - I'm not ready to bite just yet. His vision of the future of the Internet truly puts the "web" in www.

Don't get me wrong, however. I see tons of value in a job seeker doing a career search online and instantly knowing which of his personal contacts have already worked or interviewed for said employer. A quick PM or e-mail and you've got some skinny on that company or vague job posting that otherwise could have cost you valuable time in updating your resume or a day at work to go interview.
But at what cost? Privacy be damned?

Online networking tools continue to thrive and show value - especially in the world of recruiting. While I'm still toying with the clumsy, cluttered, and awkward interface of the virtual reality program Second Life (when I've nothing else to do - which reminds me, if you've seen Second Life, you've GOT to check out First Life) I still find greater nuggets of recruiting goodness in LinkedIn. Of course, I'm not the type of recruiter that is adding anyone that simply sends a request.

My LinkedIn profile and network is sacred and not just an extended contact list for me. I think smart use of LinkedIn and similar networks is a strong step forward to Web3.0. And in my humble opinion - those in a race to simply add everyone to their network that a LinkedIn toolbar suggests or that are looking to simply have the largest network to spam (yeah, I said it) are just steering us toward a WebX.doh.